*Sigh* Yes, yes we do.
But this one is important! After all, you don't want to send your ms to an agent formatted in WingDings, do you?
Or is is WingDongs? LoL.
Either way, there are some "standard" formatting guidelines. Notice I said "standard." Hence, some agents/editors prefer different things, so double check their submission guidelines first. However, if they don't have anything specific, you should follow these "basic" guidelines. Emphasis on the word "basic."
1. One inch margins all the way around.
2. Pages numbered, starting with the first page, in the header on the top, right hand corner of the page.
3. Book title in the header on the top, left side of the page.
4. Your name underneath the book title in the header.
5. Chapter numbers (type them out: Chapter One, NOT Chapter 1).
6. Chapters should start 1/3 of the way down on the page (first page included). This is approximately 7 double-spaced lines.
7. Start your story a double space below the chapter number.
8. Standard font: 12 pt Times New Roman (some like Courier New).
9. Page breaks after each chapter ends (that way when you add/delete things, the chapter pages stay the EXACT same---no need to go back and fix it!)
And there you have it! Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy.
And for your viewing pleasure (because I'm a visual learner myself), I've created and formatted a page of a book. Have a look see!!!