My Halloween Horror Story

Something about Halloween makes me want to dabble a bit in the horror genre (although I quickly get out of the mood after the season is over).

In light of that, I wanted to share a flash fiction story I wrote WAY back in 2010. Man, that seems like an eternity. It's horror, I guess, and fits right into the creepy, erie, ghostly, scary Halloween weekend. So for your reading pleasure I give you...........(drumroll, please!)........................................


CHOICES


Hollowness settled in my chest. This didn’t feel like I thought. His tar-like blood pooled around my feet. His limbs were sprawled out in strange directions. He looked…broken.
I almost laughed. I was the broken one. He broke me. So this served him right, I guess. I turned to the mirror. The girl with sunken eyes, raven hair and purple bruises was no more. Now the eyes were soft, the hair pulled back in a loose ponytail. I even covered the bruise across my cheek and the scar on my left eye. Shimmery pink lipstick painted my thin lips. I wanted him to see how other people used to see me. The young girl with the bright future. Even if I wasn’t that girl anymore, I pretended. Just to see the panic in his eyes when I smiled at him and drew my gun.   
My infant daughter belted a cry in the next room. A single tear slid down my cheek. It was warm. I wiped it away. I couldn’t allow myself a moment of weakness. I looked down once more at him. He was still there, lifeless. I prodded him with my worn-out sneaker. He didn’t move. Good. I needed to be sure he wouldn’t get my daughter.
I dialed a number I knew too well.
“911 what is your emergency?”
“I just killed my stepfather.”

I put the gun to my mouth and hesitated for only a second before pulling the trigger. I had peace at last. 



  Have a safe and Happy Halloween everyone!

~JD

No comments:

Post a Comment