I'm a storyteller, not a writer #PROUD #TRUTH

That's right. I'll admit it.

I'm a storyteller--not a writer.

There's a difference you ask? Yes, according to many people there is (Nathan Bransford, publishing interns, the Shark, to just name a few). And according to the same people, you must be good at both in order to become successful in this business.

Whoa.

That's a difficult statement to handle, isn't it? While it may be true you need to be good at both be SUCCESSFUL, not all of us are chasing down this dream for fame and money. I'm sure the hell not.

A long time ago, an intern on twitter posted the following:

"If you don't have background in writing--don't write."

Grrr.....SUCK IT, is what I wanted to say. And then I took a few deep breaths, collected myself and went on my merry way. Then I heard someone just not too long ago say the exact same thing. Let me make something clear:

First, let's talk about the difference between storytelling and writing. Obviously, storytelling is when you tell a great story. To people, to friends, in a funny notebook you carry around. You make people smile, laugh, and you add all sorts of great details that makes the original story even better. You're a natural entertainer. Wikipedia defines storytelling as: is the conveying of events in words, images and sounds often by improvisation or embellishment.

YEAH, that's totally me.

"Writing" is when you know all that "other" stuff: grammar, tenses--all the jargon about the English language. Wikipedia says writing is: writing is the representation of language in a textual medium through the use of a set of signs or symbols.

Jeez, that sounds lame and boring. 

Then you have all the other "writer" stuff: plots, tension, character delineation, backstory, turning points, plot layers, subplots, personal stakes, reversing motives, character dimensions, blah, blah, blah. This stuff is NOT lame and boring, but please note: all these things can be LEARNED.

Before I knew anything (and I do mean anything) about "writing"--I wrote. I'm secure enough to admit the first few things I wrote were utter crap.  But does that mean I shouldn't have done it? Hell no! It made me happy. I was pursuing a passion. I had zero pursuit to be published, zero need to be famous, I just wanted to feel the joy of creating and weaving a beautiful story that meant something to ME. And that's what all of you should be doing. If you're in this business to get famous--find another gig. Period.

The fact remains: not every novelists has a background in English. Not every author has taken a creative writing class. Not every best seller has a "background" in writing. I even did a little research. There a MANY novelists (famous and not) who didn't even go to college. There are some are who went to college, but not for writing/english. There are even a few high school dropouts.

And you know what? I'd rather be storyteller any day of the week. I can throw. It. Down. I don't care if you wipe pigeon butts 24/7 and don't know the different between Pride and Prejudice and To Kill a Mockingbird. If you want to write a book, do it. Don't let anyone stop you.  Freakin' write a book! Now, if you want to get published...well that's a whole 'nother issue. But don't let anyone stand in the way of what you want to do.


~JD

Speaking of not letting anyone stand in the way of what I do, my three romance books have been re-published today! I got the right backs earlier this year, and I'm proud to see my books back on the shelf. I'm not having a party or blogfest or giveaway. If you want to share you can. Or not. You can find them them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment